Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Follow up on that "Haitian Sitcom"



We have more details on the potential ABC show we mentioned HERE


Turns out it really is not an Haitian sitcom. The show is a semi-autobiographical family comedy and focuses on Kat Coiro’s and her family as they live in an apartment above Tap-Tap restaurant in South Beach. Her parents own Tap-Tap (I was surprised to learn this tidbit). Most intriguing from Deadline’s announcement is the following:


“Her parents both are of the (sic) European descent but have strong ties to the Caribbean country and had previously taken in six Haitian refugees into their home in Key Largo.”


I’m not sure what role those "Haitian refugees" will play in the show, if any. As I’ve said before, I will reserve judgment until I see a script or the pilot episode. I do hope that this is not some White savior show.  That trope has been regurgitated countless times in the past and personally, I have no interest in it. And while this is a comedy, Haitians should not be the butt of the jokes. I would go on about representation etc. but I said I’d reserve judgment, so I will stop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment